You know Upworthy, they're responsible for those clickbait headlines everyone (and their mother) share on Facebook about a million times. If you've had enough, the browser plugin Downworthy automagically rewords them for what they actually mean.
Downworthy replaces hyperbolic headlines from bombastic viral websites with a slightly more realistic version. For example:
- "Literally" becomes "Figuratively"
- "Will Blow Your Mind" becomes "Might Perhaps Mildly Entertain You For a Moment"
- "One Weird Trick" becomes "One Piece of Completely Anecdotal Horseshit"
- "Go Viral" becomes "Be Overused So Much That You'll Silently Pray for the Sweet Release of Death to Make it Stop"
- "Can't Even Handle" becomes "Can Totally Handle Without Any Significant Issue"
- "Incredible" becomes "Painfully Ordinary"
- "You Won't Believe" becomes "In All Likelihood, You'll Believe"
- ... and so on. (see the spoilers list below)
These articles are, in general, not nearly as bad as their titles - but the titles have become SO overblown, they're meaningless and annoying. But people still click, so the trend continues. Consider this me doing my part to stop the insanity.
|The State of The Internet|
|Keep Broadband Competitive in Canada|
|Study Indicates Young People More Careful About Privacy|
|“Facebook is a data collection service for those who want to sell you products.” #deleteFacebook|
|Best of Wikipedia|
|Fake Name Generator|
|“Are the puppets coming for our jobs?”|
|“Research that could engineer dinosaurs back into existence within the next five to 10 years.”|
|Japanese Robot Serves Ice Cream From Inside a Vending Machine|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|“A man-powered machine that creates scarfs in 5 minutes.”|
|Google Map Shows You the Most Photographed Areas of the World|
|“A machine meant to hurl rockets into space.”|
|“The only thing worse than assuming that carbon removal will save the day is assuming it will save the day.”|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|What Computers See When They Watch a Movie|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|