Calling Facebook "what the internet should've been from the very beginning," Børge Forteller wants to weaken the popular social media site and take back the web from it.
What is the allure of Facebook? Why is everyone using it (including me), even though it's clearly bad for our online freedom and privacy (read: bad for the world)? There are a ton of features which makes Facebook almost impossible to escape, like
• «Everyone» is there, making it easy to keep in touch with old and new friends
• There's a group for anything
• It's dead simple to create new groups, making it ideal for collaboration
• A simple chat function lets you see if someone is online and start talking with them right away, straight from the tab in your browser that you already have open
• Get all the latest news from your favorite blogs, web comics and everything else in one place by the click of a «Like»-button.
And all of this is available anywhere, not just where you have your chat client etc.
These are some of the functionalities we need to replicate if we want people to move away from Facebook.
Also, amusing: in either 2060 or 2130, depending on whether or not Facebook's popularity wanes, there will be more profiles for dead people than living ones.
|MAPTCHA: Map-Based Captcha|
|five.sentenc.es or less|
|Craiggers: Giving Craiglist a Nice User Interface|
|Solar Powered WiFi Device Provides Unlimited Passive Access to Data|
|5 Warning Signs You Might be a Blogcrastinator|
|“What can we do to make responsible use of plastic a reality? First: reject the lie.”|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|“Lifting the electric motors out of Teslas and putting them in the chassis of other, formerly gas guzzling cars.”|
|On Instagram, Everyone Takes the Exact Same Photos|
|“This incredible inconsistency can make English really hard to master for non-native speakers.”|
|Japanese Robot Serves Ice Cream From Inside a Vending Machine|
|“Sending you changes in your media feed that are calculated to adjust you slightly to the liking of some unseen advertiser.”|
|Review of BenQ's treVolo S Portable Electrostatic Bluetooth Speaker|
|“Rejuvenation is Finally an Industry.”|
|“The cost could be so near to zero it will effectively be free.”|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|Go the Fuck to Sleep: A Children's Bedtime Book|